Plátano Mac and Cheese
Created by Victoria Cookware on April 13, 2017
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 10 ounces monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 ounces oaxaca cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1 package package elbow macaroni, cooked
- 2 each poblano peppers (seeded, roasted and julienned)
- 4 each ripe plantains (cut plantain into 1/2” rounds)
- 8 ounces canola oil (for frying)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the directions, drain
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil until it reaches 350f degrees. Add the plantain rounds and fry until golden brown and fully cooked. Remove from oil and place on a plate lined with a paper towel. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 400f degrees. Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium low heat, whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly for 1 minute. Make sure not to let the flour burn.
- Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk in salt, black pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and red pepper until smooth. Stir in pasta, roasted poblano peppers and fried plantains.
- Top pasta with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400f degrees for 10 minutes or until golden and bubbly.