Created by Victoria Cookware on October 29, 2016
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 10m
- Total Time: 40m
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 2 tbs. olive oil, plus a bit more for oiling the bowl
- 1 cup warm (not hot) water
- 2 cups organic bread flour
- ½ cup organic whole wheat flour
- 2 ½ tsp. active dry yeast
- 2 tbs. cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl (you may use a stand mixer and dough hook). Make a well and add wet ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until dough comes together. Transfer to floured board and knead for a few minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Oil the bowl, and place the dough in the bowl; cover with a tea towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Working on a floured board, use a scraper or knife to divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and form these into smooth balls. Let stand for 5 minutes while you preheat a cast iron grill pan or skillet.
- Using just enough flour to prevent sticking, roll the dough balls out into oblongs roughly 6 x 3 inches. Place carefully into preheated grill pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until you can see dark brown marks and the underside is dry. Turn bread 90 degrees to create crosshatches and cook for another minute or so. Flip and cook for 2 minutes. You should be able to develop a pleasant rhythm of rolling and cooking. If this seems too complicated, invite a wonderful, young partner to assist you like I did! Serve hot, warm, or cool.