This recipe is brought to you by our friend and cast-iron lover @unsweetened.caroline. Check out her instagram here: @unsweetened.caroline and the full blog post here: Vegetarian Lentil Pot Pie Recipe.
Vegetarian Lentil Pot Pie
Created by Victoria Cookware on December 27, 2016
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Total Time: 55m
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thyme, fresh or dried
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 3 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup cup peas
- salt to taste
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or a mix of white and whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add your chopped onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until your onions are fragrant.
- Stir in your thyme and salt and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add your potatoes, carrots, lentils and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer over low-medium heat, covered for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Transfer to a cast-iron skillet.
Prepare your biscuits
- In a large mixing bowl, add your flour and baking powder.
- Cut your margarine into your flour until crumbly.
- Add the egg and the milk. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Form 6 biscuits and place on top of the casserole.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until the biscuits are slightly golden. Enjoy!
- For a gluten-free biscuit, try using a gluten-free flour blend.