Created by Victoria Cookware on December 27, 2016
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ground cardamom
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour, plus 2 Tbs more
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, with skin peeled
- 5 medium size peaches, cut each into 8 wedge slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. In an electric stand mixer bowl, combine butter, light brown sugar, cardamom, salt and 1 cup flour. Turn the mixer to medium speed and mix till the dough is just combined. Place the dough onto a lightly floured working surface, roll it out to about ¼ inch thickness. Use a 2 inch diameter scallop edged cookie cutter, stamp out about 16 rounds from the dough. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill in the fridge till ready to use.
- In a food processor, combine ginger and 1/8 cup turbinado sugar, pulse for about 7-8 times to blend. In a large bowl, stir together the ginger sugar mixture, remaining 3/8 cup turbinado sugar, lemon juice, 2 Tbs flour and peach slices and toss well.
- Into each of the two petit iron skillet (6 ½” in diameter), place half of the peach slices in an over lapping circular fashion to fill up the skillet. (Alternatively, you can use one large 10-inch diameter iron skillet).
- Place iron skillets on a baking sheet and into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes first. Remove from the oven, nestle the cardamom shortbread rounds among peach slices. Brush each shortbread round with egg white and sprinkle liberally with granulated sugar. Continue baking for about another 15-18 minutes till the shortbread turns golden brown and the peach juice starts to bubble.
- Remove the skillets from the oven, let them cool off a bit and serve immediately.