Chicken Pot Pie Cobbler with Chive Biscuits
Created by Victoria Cookware on December 27, 2016
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 35m
- Total Time: 45m
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken, shredded or diced into small cubes
- 1 large potato, diced small (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, diced into cubes
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup fresh chives, chopped
- additional butter for glazing the tops after baking
For the chive biscuits
- In a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven, heat 1 tbl. of oil over medium high heat. Add potatoes, and saute for 5-7 minutes, or until soft. Add in carrots, onion, and celery, and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until onion is almost clear. (Add more oil if necessary at this point.) Add in minced garlic and continuing stirring, an additional 1-2 minutes. When vegetables look soft add in the frozen corn, peas, and cooked chicken. Stir until the corn and peas turn a bright color.
- Stir in wine, and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tbl. of flour and cook, stirring continuously, an additional 2 minutes. Slowly add in chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Stir in the half-and-half. Reduce heat to a very low simmer.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. While the mixture is simmering on low, make the chive biscuits. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add in the cubed butter and, using either a pastry cutter or simply your clean hands, mash together with the dry mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and butter is the size of peas. Add in the chives and mix until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the biscuits, and pour the half-and-half into the center. Mix together with a fork or spatula until just combined.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured smooth surface (a cutting board or pastry board) and lightly knead until dough is smooth. Form a 3/4 inch thick circle, and using a 2 1/2″ round biscuit cutter, cut out 10-12 biscuits.
- Take the skillet off the heat and top with the biscuits. Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered, for 30 – 35 minutes or until the chicken mixture is bubbly and the biscuits are a golden brown.
- Brush tops of biscuits with butter and let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!