Buttermilk Drop Biscuits with Thyme Maple Syrup Glazed Peaches
Created by Victoria Cookware on April 13, 2017
- 2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus 2 tablespoons melted butter for brushing the biscuits
- 5 each peaches (cut peaches in half and remove pits)
- 1/4 cup butter (cut into cubes)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3 each thyme, sprigs
- 1 each lemon (zest and juice)
- pinch salt
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- Combine the buttermilk and 8 tablespoons of the melted butter in a medium bowl, stirring until the butter forms small clumps.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just incorporated and the batter pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Using a greased 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop a level amount of batter and drop onto medium size cast iron skillet. Repeat with the remaining batter, spacing the biscuits about 1 inch apart. Bake until the tops are golden brown and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Brush the biscuit tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Transfer to a wire rack and cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Preheat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the butter, when butter starts to foam add the thyme leaves and cook for one minute. Add the peaches and cook until bottom starts to caramelize. Once peaches are caramelized add the maple syrup, cook for approximately 30 seconds add the lemon juice and flip the peaches. Let syrup reduce by half. Remove peaches from cast iron skillet and place on a plate with drop biscuits. Top peaches and biscuits with thyme syrup and with your favorite greek yogurt. Finish with lemon zest.