The Best Sugar-Free Apple Crisp
Created by Victoria Cookware on December 27, 2016
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 1h 15m
- 6 cups diced Cortand apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon Topping
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup margarine (use vegan if preferred)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Dice apples and place them in a 12" cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with cinnamon and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
Make the topping
- Add the flour and margarine in a medium bowl. Make sure the margarine is cold (right out of the fridge). Cut the margarine in the flour until the mixture is crumbly, either using a pastry cutter or food processor. I just used a fork.
- In a high-speed blender, blend your Medjool dates and water. If your blender is not strong enough, you can get messy and mash your dates with the water using your hands. Transfer to your medium bowl. Add your oats and salt. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Crumble the mixture on top of your apples.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown. Let it sit a few minutes before serving.
- You can keep the skin on the apples if preferred.
- Feel free to use your favorite apples for baking.
- You can also use butter instead of margarine